In line with the Group’s commitment to be a sustainable and responsible palm oil producer and supplier, the Group has embarked on a programme towards achieving Roundtable Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) certification.
Hap Seng Plantations’ RSPO Certification move ensures it joins the rank of globally responsible palm oil producer and supplier. In fact, before it embarked on its RSPO journey, Hap Seng Plantations has already put in place sustainability measures in securing the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) certification.
The RSPO certification follows a set of international standards for the sustainable palm oil industry. It is governed by a set of strict and challenging sustainable guidelines that need to be complied via set principles. Compliance can only be confirmed by independent RSPO accredited auditors. The principles are:
- Commitment to transparency
- Compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Commitment to long-term economic and financial viability
- Use of appropriate best practices by growers and millers
- Environmental responsibility and conservation of natural resources and biodiversity
- Responsible consideration of employees, and of individuals and communities affected by growers and mills
- Responsible development of new plantings
- Commitment to continuous improvement in key areas of activity
The division achieved its first RSPO certification for its Bukit Mas Palm Oil Mill in May 2012. It has moved forward in obtaining RSPO certification for its Jeroco Palm Oil Mill 1 and Jeroco Palm Oil Mill 2 in September 2013, bringing the division closer to achieving RSPO certification for all its mills. The plantation achieved its final RSPO certification for its Tomanggong Palm Oil Mill in 2014.